Natural Pain Relief Through Massage
A typical prenatal massage session takes at least 60 minutes and can go on up to 90 minutes. The mother will be supported with pillows as she lies on her side. She will be draped with a sheet and only the body part that is being worked will be exposed. Most massage therapists like to keep their room quiet and at a comfortable temperature. It is best to avoid eating a large meal before the massage or drinking large amounts of liquids.
Benefits that a mother may experience:
- Reduces swelling in hands, feet and ankles
- Lessens sciatic pain
- Eases muscular discomforts in areas like the low back & neck, calf cramps, it also helps with tension and tightening that can be experienced throughout the body
- Tones lose muscles relaxes tense muscles and can help increase flexibility.
- Helps with relaxation which in turn can decrease insomnia
- Increases blood and lymph flow which can help increase the elimination of toxins through the circulatory and lymphatic systems, this can also help with fatigue.
- Increases oxygen in the blood, sometimes on up to 10-15% after a massage.
- Strengthens the immune system
- Stimulates the release of endorphins, the body's natural pain killers, into the brain and nervous system.
- Helps relieve anxiety or depression
- Helps increase blood circulation, which in turn delivers more oxygen and nutrients to the mother and baby.
- Can be used during the birth as well as after making both experiences easier and more comfortable
- Eases stress mothers often feel after the birth